To start using Data Control Tower (DCT), the Delphix Engine(s) must first be connected. Once connected, the engines will periodically connect to DCT to update metadata and look for any commands, such as initiating a virtual database refresh.
Before connecting the Delphix Engines, all of the steps described in the Prerequisites section of the Getting Started with DCT article must be complete.
There are two steps to adding and connecting a Delphix Engine with DCT:
- Enabling the engine to connect to DCT.
- Authenticating the engine via system administrator credentials.
Enabling Data Control Tower Connectivity on the Delphix Engine
The SaaS-based DCT offering requires the Delphix Engines (Masking or Virtualization) to have internet access and the data services component enabled. If direct access to the internet is not available, a web proxy can be used. For more information, visit the Web Proxy Support article.
To enable DCT connectivity on the Delphix Engine, first enable the DCT Connector using the steps below.
- Log into Delphix Setup on the engine connecting to DCT.
- Select the Enable button under the Data Control Tower Connector label in the Software Version section.
In the Enable Data Control Tower Connector window, select a Proxy Settings option using the dropdown menu or continue with the default inherit system web proxy settings option. For more information, visit the Web Proxy Support article. Select Enable to connect the engine, download the latest connector, and ensure that the engine can reach DCT.
Proxy Settings Available For 184.108.40.206 and Above
The Proxy Settings are only available for Delphix Engine version 220.127.116.11 and above. The options available are:
- Inherit system web proxy settings
- DCT specific proxy settings
- No proxy
- After enabling the component, a new DCT section will be added to the engine Dashboard with an Unregistered Connection Status.
Once the DCT Connector is enabled, each engine must be authenticated by someone with sysadmin credentials. This process is initiated from the DCT UI.The workstation/computer being used with intent of authenticating must be able to access both DCT and the Delphix Engine.
Connecting Engines With Data Control Tower
Once the DCT Connector is enabled, each engine must be connected by a sysadmin user. Before proceeding with registration, ensure that each user on the Delphix Engine has the email address field filled out. The workstation running the web browser must be able to access both DCT and the Delphix Engine being authenticated. Follow the steps in the next three subsections to connect Delphix Engines with DCT.
SSO Enablement Required
Once a Delphix Engine connects with DCT, users of the Delphix Masking and Management services will only be able to authenticate using SSO (through SAML 2.0 IDP). Visit the Configuring Single Sign-On article for SSO authentication steps.
Initiating Delphix Engine Registration within Data Control Tower
- Login to Data Control Tower as a DCT Admin User.
- Click the Infrastructure tab.
- On the Infrastructure page, click Connect engine.
- In the Connect Engine modal, provide the following information:
- Engine name: This is a descriptive name that will be displayed in DCT.
- Host: The IP address or fully qualified domain name of the engine.
- Is this the:
- Production Network: Select this if the Delphix Engine is deployed in a production network (alongside the production application)
Non-production Network: Select this if the Delphix Engine is deployed in a non-production network (or development network)
- Click Next. The final summary tab is shown so configurations for Engine, Hostname, and Engine Type can be reviewed.
- Review the summary.
- Click Submit.
Authenticating the Engine within Delphix Connect
Login to the Delphix Engine as a system administrator. The Delphix Connect page is displayed.
On the Delphix Connect page, click Connect to establish the connection to DCT, the page will refresh as part of the registration process. During the registration process, the Delphix Engine will upload metadata.
The Convert email addresses button is selected to convert all engine email addresses to work with DCT SSO. This is a requirement for IdP integration. If all Engine users are known to use exclusively lower-case email addresses, this step is optional, but it is strongly recommended to use this conversion step regardless to ensure consistency.
Confirmation within Data Control Tower
To verify if the Delphix Engine has been added successfully, do the following:
- Login to Data Control Tower.
- Navigate to the Engine tab. The Infrastructure page is displayed.
- Observe Delphix Engine shows Connected status. This shows the Delphix Engine is connected to DCT.