This topic describes the configuration and settings requirements for SAP ASE target hosts and databases.
Target Host Requirements
- The operating system on the target environment must be the same as, or binary compatible with, the operating system on the source environment
- The SAP ASE version on the target environment must be the same as the version on the source environment. However, EBF/SP version on target environment can be higher.
- There must be an operating system user, such as delphix_os, that meets the following requirements:
- The $PATH environment variable includes the location for the isql binary
- The $SYBASE environment variable is set for non-interactive shells (such as via the .bashrc configuration file). Set the variable as follows:
- Set the PermitUserEnvironment configuration parameter to "yes" in the sshd_config file
- Add the variable to the user's .ssh/environment file
- Restart the SSH daemon
- Can login to the target host via Secure Shell (SSH)
- Has write permission for the mount-point directory
- The following permissions are usually granted via sudo authorization of the commands. Disable tty for the delphix_os user for
umount. See Sudo Privilege Requirements for SAP ASE Environments for further explanation of this requirement, and Sudo File Configuration Examples for SAP ASE Environments for example file configurations.
- Permission to run
- On Solaris, permission to run
- On AIX, permission to run the
nfsocommand as super-user.
- (Optional) On AIX and Linux, permission to run
- Permission to run
- There must be a database user, such as delphix_db, with the sa_role on each instance on the target environment
- The database user such as delphix_db for any staging instances must also have the sybase_ts_role
- There must be a directory on the target environment where you can install the Delphix Engine toolkit, for example
- The delphix_os user must own the directory
- The directory must have permissions 0770, for example,
-rwxrwx--. However, you can also use more permissive settings.
- The directory should have 1GB of available storage
- Avoid using the home directory of the delphix_os user
- If you intend to use the LogSync feature, it is recommended to make the toolkit directory as short as possible to keep the full path to the transaction log file names under ASE's 127 character limit. For example, create the toolkit directory as
- If the target host will be used as a staging target environment (see Managing SAP ASE Environments Overview), at least one of the following two options must be configured:
- You must configure the ASE Backup Servers with sysservers on the source database ASE instance, or
- Full and transaction dump files from the source database must be available over NFS on the target host
Staging and target ASE instances should have disk mirroring disabled.
sp_configure "disable disk mirroring"– run value should be 1, which is the default. If it is 0, change it using
sp_configure "disable disk mirroring", 1– this parameter is static so the ASE instance must be restarted for this change to take effect.
Delphix will mirror the number of devices used on the source database for the staging database (dSource) and each VDB created from that source database. The
number of devicesparameter should be scaled appropriately based on the max number of virtual databases that will be provisioned to the ASE instance. This parameter can be changed using:
sp_configure "number of devices", <max devices>.
ASE 15.7.0 SP100 and later releases support the shrink command. In some cases Delphix must increase the number of devices used for databases if this command is used. Delphix creates a minimum of the same number of devices as the source database for the staging database (dSource) and each VDB and will add more devices for every 4TB of fragment holes. See SAP ASE issue CR#799273 for additional details.
To support multiple VDBs and the staging databases, you may need to increase the parameter number of alarms.
Delphix uses ASE operations which use alarm structures such as MOUNT and UNMOUNT. The number of alarms limit the number of these operations which can be run concurrently. Various ASE instance failures can occur if the available alarm structures are exhausted. The amount of memory consumed by increasing the number of alarm structures is small. Delphix recommends that the number of alarms value is increased to at least 4096.
ASE Manual Discovery
When an ASE environment is added Delphix automatically discovers your ASE instances. Manual discovery allows users to add instances that were not automatically discovered. This feature is currently only supported via the CLI. For more information please refer to Configuring ASE Manual Discovery.
- Using HostChecker to Confirm Source and Target Environment Configuration
- Configuring ASE Manual Discovery