This topic describes advanced data management settings for dSources.
When linking a dSource, you can use custom data management settings to improve overall performance and match the needs of your specific server and data environment. If no specific settings are required, leverage default data management settings.
Accessing Data Management Settings
There are three ways to set or modify data management settings for dSources:
- During the dSource linking process, click Advanced in the Data Management panel of the Add dSource wizard.
- Click the field next to Retention Policy under Data Management.
- To edit an existing policy click the Edit icon.
This will open the Modify Retention Policy screen. Select the changes you want to make and click OK.
- To add a new policy click the green Plus icon.
This will open the Create a New Retention Policy screen. Enter a policy name, select your retention periods and click OK.
For more information, see Creating Custom Policies and Creating Policy Templates.
Retention policies define the length of time Delphix Engine retains snapshots within its storage. To support longer retention times, you may need to allocate more storage to the Delphix Engine. The retention policy – in combination with the SnapSync policy – can have a significant impact on the performance and storage consumption of the Delphix Engine.
Benefits of Longer Retention
With increased retention time for snapshots and logs, you allow a longer (older) rollback period for your data.
Common use cases for longer retention include:
- Frequent application changes and development
Caution and controlled progression of data
Reduction of project risk
- Restore to older snapshots