A file format is a template that you can use again and again. This saves you time when creating an inventory for files of the same type. Instead of recreating an inventory for each file, you can create a file format to associate with the files.
The File Format tab displays the file formats that you have created. If you have not created any file formats, the list will be empty.
To create a new File Format
- Click Create Format in the upper right. The Create File Format window appears.
- Enter a File Format Name.
- Choose a File Format Type:
- Delimited File
- Excel Sheet
Fixed Width File
Creating a Copybook or XML file format is not supported. These formats must be imported instead.
- Optionally, enter a Description.
- Click Submit.
To import a new File Format
- Click Import Format at the upper right. The Import File Format window appears.
- Select an Import File Type.
For a Format Type of Copybook or XML
- Select a Connection Mode.
- Fill out the required fields of the selected Connection Mode.
- Click Browse.
- Click the Select button to the right of the desired import file format.
- Enter a Logical Name.
- Click Submit.
For a Format Type of Delimited File, Excel sheet, or Fixed Width File
- Click Select.
- Browse for the file from which to import fields.
- Click Save.
- The file must have NO header.
- Make sure there are no spaces or returns at the end of the last line in the file.
- To be masked, the field names must be in the same order as they are in the file.
Removing Selected File
If you accidentally selected an incorrect file, simply click Remove button to the right of the file and repeat selection steps above.
The following is sample file content for Delimited or Excel file formats. With these formats just the field name is provided. Notice there is no header and only a list of values.
First_Name Last_Name DOB SSN Address City State Zip_Code
The following is sample file content for Fixed Width format. In this format the field name is followed by the length of the field, separated by a comma. Notice there is no header and only a list of values.
First_Name,20 Last_Name,30 DOB,10 SSN,11 Address,30 City,20 State,2 Zip_Code,10
To delete a File Format
- Click the Delete icon to the right of the File Format name.
- File inventory is based on file format. Therefore, if you make a change to a file inventory, that change applies to all files that use that format.
- You can only add or delete a file format; you cannot edit one.