When linking a dSource, you can use custom data management settings to improve overall performance and match the needs of your specific server and data environment. If you do not require any specific settings, leverage default data management settings.
Accessing Data Management Settings
There are three ways to set or modify data management settings for dSources:
During the dSource linking process:
- In the Data Management panel of the Add dSource wizard, click Advanced.
- For more details, refer to Linking a dSource.
On the Configuration tab of the Datasets details page:
- Login to the Delphix Management application using admin credentials or another account with admin privileges.
- In the top menu bar, click Manage.
- Select Datasets.
- Select a dSource.
- Click the Configuration tab in the center pane.
- Select the Policies subtab, from the drop-down menu next to the SnapSync Policy and Retention Policy fields select a policy.
- Policies are created by selecting Manage > Policies.
- Click the pencil icon next to a policy to modify.
- To add a new policy, click the plus sign icon labeled Apply New Policy. For more information, refer to the instructions for Managing Policies, if necessary.
In the top menu bar:
- Click Manage.
- Select Policies. This will open the Policy Management screen.
- In the Policy Management screen, select the policy for the dSource you want to modify.
- In the pop-up dialog, click the pencil icon to modify.
- To add a new policy, click the Orange button located on the top right. For more information, refer to the instructions for Managing Policies, if necessary.
Retention policies define how long the Delphix Engine retains snapshots and log files to which you can rewind or provision objects from past points in time. The retention time for snapshots must be equal to, or longer than, the retention time for logs.
To support longer retention times, you may need to allocate more storage to the Delphix Engine. The retention policy – in combination with the SnapSync policy – can have a significant impact on the performance and storage consumption of the Delphix Engine.
Benefits of Longer Retention
With increased retention time for snapshots and logs, you allow a longer (older) rollback period for your data.
Common use cases for longer retention include:
- Frequent application changes and development
Caution and controlled progression of data
Reduction of project risk
- The speed of rollback or restoring to older points in time
You can customize the retention policy to retain snapshots and logs for longer periods of time, enabling provisioning, refresh, and rewind for either to snapshots or (if LogSync is enabled) to specific points-in-time further back in time.
SAP ASE Settings
|Staging environment||SAP ASE instance to use for validated sync|
|Backup path||Path to the directory, relative to the staging environment, where backups can be found|
|Environment User||User that logs into the operating system for certain activities such as monitoring the backup server log file|
|DB Username||User that connects to the ASE instance|
|External File Path||Not currently supported|
|Backup Path||Fully qualified path Delphix recursively searches to find database dumps and transaction logs|
|Validated Sync Mode||When enabled, Delphix actively monitors the backup server for new dumps and transaction logs|
|LogSync||When enabled, Delphix copies the transaction logs to Delphix storage to allow precise point in time provisioning|
|Dump Password||Password for database dumps|
Some settings are not editable unless the dSource is disabled.