If you are using version 5.2 or above of the Delphix Engine, you may be able to upgrade to later versions with less direct involvement from Delphix Support than was previously required.
Upgrading the Delphix Engine is a multi-step process which requires some preparation. Before you begin, contact Delphix Support to perform some pre-checks. The engine upgrade process may affect the availability of the Delphix Engine administrative interface and virtual datasets during the operation. Upgrades typically take 1-2 hours.
The following sections explain the steps involved in the upgrade process with links to detailed instructions for proceeding through each of them.
Types of Upgrade
There are three types of upgrades, which are characterized by the impact they have on VDBs during the operation:
|Application-only Upgrade||The user interface, API and CLI (Command Line Interface) will only be available to the user performing the upgrade. dSources will stop refreshing from production. Policies execution will be delayed until after the upgrade has completed. Jobs will be cancelled (and resumed after upgrade if supported). Access to VDB data will not be affected by this upgrade and can be used normally.|
|Full Upgrade (Delphix Application + DelphixOS)|
In addition to performing an application upgrade, DelphixOS, the operating system that runs Delphix, will be upgraded and the machine will reboot to the new OS as part of the upgrade process. The Delphix Engine will automatically disable all VDBs and dSources during the upgrade process in order to safely reboot to the new version, and thus you should schedule downtime for your VDB applications.
|Deferred DelphixOS Upgrade||When upgrading between minor versions of the Delphix Engine – for example, when the first two digits in the version number does not change – you sometimes have the option of deferring the DelphixOS upgrade portion. This allows for application-level bug fixes and new features to be available without having to schedule VDB downtime.|
For more details, see Types of Upgrade.
Outline of the Upgrade Process
The following is an outline of the steps for upgrading the Delphix Engine:
- Before you begin the upgrade process, contact Delphix Support to perform some pre-checks. If you are using version 5.2 or above of the Delphix Engine, you may be able to upgrade to later versions with less direct involvement from Delphix Support than was previously required.
- Download the upgrade image to your computer from the Delphix download site (and optionally verify the integrity of the image).
- Upload the upgrade image to the Delphix Engine.
- Verify and resolve the system requirements and known defects before starting the upgrade.
Decide on the type of upgrade to perform and schedule the appropriate downtime.
- Verify dataset and environment connectivity.
- Start the upgrade.
- Address any runtime failures that happen as part of the upgrade.
- Verify that upgrade completed successfully.