This topic describes how to provision a virtual database (VDB) from a Db2 dSource.
- You will need to have linked a dSource from a staging instance, as described in Linking a Db2 dSource, or have created a VDB from which you want to provision another VDB
- You should have set up the Db2 target environment with necessary requirements as described in Requirements for Db2 Hosts and Databases
- Make sure you have the required Instance Owner permissions on the target instance and environment as described in Managing Db2 Users and Instance Owners
- The method for Database Permissions for Provisioned Db2 VDBs is decided before the provisioning
You can take a new snapshot of the dSource by clicking the Camera icon on the dSource card. Once the snapshot is complete you can provision a new VDB from it.
Please note while creating a VDB on an instance
The Db2 Plugin version 2.7.1 introduces a change that restricts the plugin from provisioning a VDB on a Db2 instance which contains a database with the same name as the VDB's source database.
- When we are provisioning a VDB from a VDB then source VDB will be treated as the source database.
- When we are provisioning a VDB from a dSource then a staging database will be treated as the source database.
If the user wants to provision a VDB on an instance which contains a database with the same name as the VDB's source database, then the user needs to follow the below steps :
- Check if any config file with name advanceConfFlag.conf exists at location <Toolkit directory>/. If it does not exist, then the user should create a file with name advanceConfFlag.conf at location <Toolkit directory>/. Instance user must have read permission to this file. Once the file is created, user should proceed to step 2. If the file already exists at this location with the required permission, the user should directly proceed to step 2.
- Add the below line in this config file.
- Then create/Refresh the VDB again.
UI changes were done on provision vFile page
Field name changes are as follows :
Old field name
New field name
Virtual Database Configuration Settings
- Login to the Delphix Management application.
- Click Manage.
- Select Datasets.
- Select a dSource.
- Select a snapshot from which you want to provision.
- Click Provision VDB icon to open Provision VDB wizard.
- Select a target environment from the left pane.
- Select an Installation to use from the dropdown list of available Db2 instances on that environment.
- Set the Environment User to be the Instance Owner. Note: The picking of instance owner is only possible if you have multiple environment users set on that host.
- Provide VDB Name as database name as parameter.
- Optionally, set the database configuration parameters for the VDB.
- Click Next.
- Select a Target Group for the VDB.
Click the green Plus icon to add a new group, if necessary.
- Select a Snapshot Policy for the VDB.
- Click Next.
Specify any desired hook operations. For details, on-hook operations, refer to Customizing Db2 Management with Hook Operations.
- Click Next.
- Review the Provisioning Configuration and Data Management information.
- Click Submit.
When provisioning starts, you can review the progress of the job in the Databases panel, or in the Job History panel of the Dashboard. When provisioning is complete, the VDB will be included in the group you designated and listed in the Databases panel. If you select the VDB in the Databases panel and click the Open icon, you can view its card, which contains information about the database and its Data Management settings.
Once the VDB provisioning has successfully completed, if the source and target instance ids are not the same, you may want to grant secadm and dbadm on the database to the target instance id. Refer to Database Permissions for Provisioned Db2 VDBs for more information.