This topic covers the virtual machine requirements, including memory and data storage, for the deployment of the Delphix Engine on Amazon EC2 (Elastic Cloud Compute) or EC2 on GovCloud.
This section covers the following topics:
- Instance Types
- Network Configuration
- EBS Configuration
- General Storage Configuration
- Additional AWS Configuration Notes
Once you understand the requirements listed on this page, you should view the next pages on AWS EC2 deployment:
The following is a list of instance types that are supported to deploy Delphix on AWS EC2. Delphix periodically certifies new instance types, which will be added to the list here.
Large Memory Instances (preferred)
High I/O Instances
Virtual Private Cloud
Static Public IP
Security Group Configuration
|Enhanced Networking||It is recommended to enable Enhanced Networking, for more information view Enhanced Networking on Linux.|
Deploying Delphix on AWS EC2 requires EBS provisioned IOPS volumes. Since EBS volumes are connected to EC2 instances via the network, other network activity on the instance can affect throughput to EBS volumes. EBS optimized instances provide guaranteed throughput to EBS volumes and are required to provide consistent and predictable storage performance.
EBS Provisioned IOPS Volumes
Note: All attached storage devices must be EBS volumes
General Storage Configuration
EBS Volume Size and Count
|This enables the Delphix File System (DxFS) to make sure that its file systems are always consistent on disk without additional serialization. This also enables the Delphix Engine to achieve higher I/O rates by queueing more I/O operations to its storage.|
Additional AWS Configuration Notes
- Using storage other than EBS is not supported.
- Limits on the number of volumes are dictated by the EBS instance type, and is generally advised that over 40 can be expected to cause issue on Linux VMs. More information can be found in the AWS Volume Limits and AWS Volume Constraints articles. The maximum device limit imposed by AWS can be handled by the Delphix Engine.
- The use of the local SSDs attached to i2 instance types is not supported.
- Using fast storage for EBS volumes is supported and recommended, including (in order of decreasing speed):
- Provisioned IOPS (io1) volumes (recommended)
- General Purpose SSD (gp2) volumes (supported)
- Throughput Optimized HDD (st1) volumes (supported)
- Cold HDD (sc1) volumes (not supported due to poor performance)
- Magnetic (standard) volumes (supported, but use st1 instead where possible)
- Use of EBS volumes encrypted at creation is supported (during initial deployment from AMI, as well as storage devices added post-deployment), but can have negative performance consequences. Conversion of existing EBS volumes is possible in AWS but is not supported in Delphix at this time.
Procedure to Install an AMI
Use the Delphix-supplied AMI file to install the Delphix Engine.
- On the Delphix download site, click the AMI you would like to share and accept the Delphix License agreement. Alternatively, follow a link given by your Delphix solutions architect.
- On the Amazon Web Services Account Details form presented:
- Enter your AWS Account Identifier, which can be found here: https://console.aws.amazon.com/billing/home?#/account. If you want to use the GovCloud AWS Region, be sure to enter the ID for the AWS Account which has GovCloud enabled.
- Select which AWS Region you would like the AMI to be shared in. If you would like the AMI shared in a different region, contact your Delphix account representative to make the proper arrangements.
- Click Share.
The Delphix Engine will appear in your list of AMIs in AWS momentarily.