Linking a dSource will ingest data from the source and create a dSource object on the engine. The dSource is an object that the Delphix Virtualization Engine uses to create and update virtual copies of your database. As a virtualized representation of your source data, it cannot be managed, manipulated, or examined by database tools.
For an overview of all dSource related actions, please Managing Data Sources and Syncing Data.
When linking a dSource from a SQL Server source database, Delphix offers several different methods of capturing backup information:
- SQL Server Managed Backups, where the SQL Server source database schedules and initiates backups and the Delphix Engine captures them
- Full backups
- Full or differential backups
- Transaction log backups (with LogSync disabled)
- Transaction log backups (with LogSync enabled)
- Delphix Managed Backups, where the Delphix Engine schedules and initiates the backups from the source database, and captures them
- Login to the Delphix Management application.
- Navigate to Manage > Datasets.
- Click the plus icon and select Add dSource.
- In the Add dSource wizard, select the source database with the correct environment user-specified.
- Select user type for source database authentication and enter the login credentials. Enter username and password for Database user or Domain (Windows) user. For Environment User, select a source environment user from the dropdown list and click Next.
- Enter a name and select a group for your dSource.
Adding a dSource to a dataset group lets you set Delphix Domain user permissions for that database and its objects, such as snapshots. See the topics under Users and Groups for more information.
- Select the Data Management settings needed. For more information, Data Management Settings for SQL Server Data Sources.
- Select the Staging environment and SQL Instance that will be used to manage the staging database used for validated sync of the dSource.
- Select any policies for the new dSource.
- Enter any scripts that should be run on the Hooks page.
- Review the dSource Configuration and Data Management information, and then click Submit.