This topic covers the virtual machine requirements, including memory and data storage, for the deployment of the Delphix Engine on Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
This section covers the following topics:
- Instance Types
- Network Configuration
- General Storage Configuration
- Additional GCP Configuration Notes
Once you understand the requirements listed on this page, you should view the next pages on GCP deployment:
Prerequisites to Deploying in GCP
- You require a license to use Delphix software. If you are a new customer contact Delphix to get started.
- The installation checklist will get you started off properly.
Deploying a Delphix Engine in GCP Marketplace
- Download the latest Delphix Platform for GCP tar.gz file.
- Create a GCP storage bucket to be used to upload the file obtained in step 1.
- Upload the Delphix file to the bucket created in step 2.
- Once the upload is complete, navigate to Compute Engine > Images and select Create Image.
- In the Create Image dialog you will need to provide the following:
- Image Name
- Source: Cloud Storage File
- Select the bucket and newly uploaded Delphix File.
- Location: Multi-Regional or Regional. (note if you want to be able to deploy Delphix in multiple regions - select Multi-Region)
- Family - optional
- Description - optional
- Labels - optional
- Encryption - select based on your organization’s policy
- Click - Create. (Note you will see the following at the bottom of the dialog once you’ve clicked Create. Also, creating the image may take a considerable amount of time)
- Once the image creation is complete. Select the newly created Image.
- Complete the instance creation dialog. Key items:
- Identify and select the region and zone where you will run Virtual Databases.
- Choose a machine type commensurate with your expected workload. The minimum configuration would be similar to a n2-highmem-8. (8vCPU, 192GB Memory)
- Change/Modify the Boot Disk to SSD Persistent Disk. (defaults to Standard Persistent Disk)
- Add Data Disks (minimum of 4) with a total size at least equal to your total source DB sizes. Be sure to utilize SSD Persistent Disks
- Update Networking commensurate with the Network and Subnet(s) on which the target non-production instances reside. (Note: a “target” is an instance running the DB platform identical to the source DBs)
- Once all of the necessary instance information has been completed, click Create.
- Wait for the instance to be created/available and connect to the newly deployed Engine using the assigned IP/hostname via support web browser.
The following is a list of instance types that are supported to deploy Delphix on GCP. Delphix periodically certifies new instance types, which will be added to the list here.
Virtual Private Cloud
Static Public IP
Security Group Configuration
|Premium Networking||It is recommended to use GCP Premium Tier Networking, for more information click here|
GCP Storage Volume Size and Count
|This enables the Delphix File System (DxFS) to make sure that its file systems are always consistent on disk without additional serialization. This also enables the Delphix Engine to achieve higher I/O rates by queueing more I/O operations to its storage.|
Additional GCP Configuration Notes
- Delphix supports both Zonal and Regional SSD persistent disks.