This article covers procedures for deploying in AWS, via the Delphix Marketplace Image or Amazon Machine Imaage (AMI).
- Procedure to Install an AMI
- Subscribe to the Delphix Virtualization Engine Marketplace Image
- Launching the Delphix Engine
- Configuring the Delphix Engine
Procedure to Install an AMI
Use the Delphix-supplied AMI file to install the Delphix Engine.
- On the Delphix download site, click the AMI you would like to share and accept the Delphix License agreement. Alternatively, follow a link given by your Delphix solutions architect.
- On the Amazon Web Services Account Details form presented:
- Enter your AWS Account Identifier, which can be found here: https://console.aws.amazon.com/billing/home?#/account. If you want to use the GovCloud AWS Region, be sure to enter the ID for the AWS Account which has GovCloud enabled.
- Select which AWS Region you would like the AMI to be shared in. If you would like the AMI shared in a different region, contact your Delphix account representative to make the proper arrangements.
- Click Share. The Delphix Engine will appear in your list of AMIs in AWS momentarily.
Subscribe to the Delphix Virtualization Engine Marketplace Image
- Login to the AWS Console at https://aws.amazon.com/console.
- Navigate to the AWS Marketplace.
- In the Search field, enter Delphix.
- Select the Delphix Dynamic Data Platform for AWS. Select the appropriate offer based on the data you will ingest into the Delphix platform.
- Review the information on the initial Marketplace page.
- Click Continue to Subscribe.
- Review the software subscription information and select the Manual Launch tab.
- Select Accept Software Terms.
Your subscription will take a few minutes to become enabled.
- From the Subscription page, click Return to Product Page. There you will see Launch with EC2 Console enabled in all of the available regions.
Launching the Delphix Engine
In the desired region, select Launch with EC2 Console.
Launching will direct you to the standard EC2 instance launch process.
- Select the size of the virtual machine you want to deploy. For supported instance types and capabilities, see Virtual Machine Requirements for AWS Platform.
- Click Next: Configure Instance Details.
- Configure instance details as follows:
- Set the number of instances to 1.
- Purchasing option – Leave Request Spot Instances unchecked.
- Network – Select the VPC into which the instance will be deployed.
- Subnet – Select the Subnet into which the instance will be deployed.
Auto-assign Public IP – Select Disable.
- Placement group – Optional. The default is No placement group.
- IAM Role – None
- Shutdown behavior – Stop
- Enable termination protection – Yes (select checkbox). This ensures that the Delphix Engine is not accidentally terminated.
- Monitoring – Optional
- EBS-optimized instance – Yes (select checkbox)
- Tenancy – Shared – Run a shared hardware instance
Network Interfaces – Eth0
This option will not appear if you chose a default subnet. In this case, the first option below will apply.
- Auto-assign (default if using DHCP)
- Enter static IP in Primary IP field (recommended for consistency)
- Click Next: Add Storage.
- By default, the Delphix Virtualization instance includes a 150GB OS volume. Ensure that this volume is set as a General Purpose SSD (GP2) type.
Using the Delphix Virtualization Engine Storage Calculator for AWS, enter information from your predetermined inventory into the worksheet. This will automatically calculate the number, size, and IOPS required for the EBS volumes.
In the above example, there are three (3) source databases listed with their current sizes. Each is estimated to have 5 virtual copies as well as a 14-day retention period for snapshots/backups. The calculator indicates that you should add four (4) EBS-provisioned IOPS volumes, each being 1250GB with 1000 IOPS.
This calculator is only for estimating your anticipated storage size and IOPS needs. A manual adjustment may be required prior to or after launch depending on your storage and performance needs.
- Click Add New Volume. The new volume will be created using the specifications in the estimation provided. The below values are sample values set for a Volume Type. See EBS Configuration for related information.
- Volume Type – EBS
- Device – Use default provided
- Size (GiB) – 1250
- Volume Type – Provisioned IOPS SSD (IO1)
Delphix deploys as an EC2 instance on AWS using EBS volumes for storage. AWS provides the following options for Elastic Block Storage (EBS) storage volumes, namely
- General Purpose SSD (GP2)
- General Purpose SSD (GP3)
- Provisioned IOPS SSD (IO1)
- IOPS – 1000
- Delete on Termination – Optional. If you do not set this option and the Delphix Engine is terminated, the EBS volumes will persist, and you will need to remove them manually.
- Encrypted – Optional
- Follow the above procedure for adding as many EBS volumes as specified in the calculator. Based on the example above, the storage configuration would look as follows:
- Verify that your storage configuration matches the output from the calculator.
- Click Next: Tag Instance.
- To provide a name for your Delphix Virtualization Instance, enter it in the Value field corresponding to the Key Name.
- Click Next: Configure Security Group.
- Assign a security group. Do one of the following:
- Create a new security group.
- If an existing security group meets Delphix requirements, you can select it. For more details on required and recommended ports for general Delphix usage, see General Network and Connectivity Requirements.
- Click Review and Launch.
- Verify the Delphix Virtualization Instance details and click Launch.
- Proceed without a key pair.
- Select the I acknowledge checkbox.
- Click Launch Instances.
- Click View Instances.
- To complete the initial Delphix Virtualization Engine configuration, wait for your instance to be up and running. You can see its status on the Instances page. Note that it can take up to 15 minutes for the first launch of Delphix, and even if the status of the server is “running” it may not yet be ready.
Configuring the Delphix Engine
- Connect to your running Delphix instance with a web browser. Use the IP address or DNS name noted in the Instance Description.
- Upon successful connection, the browser will automatically redirect to the Delphix Setup Page.
- Refer to the standard product deployment instructions to complete your Delphix deployment.
Logging in for the first time
The first time you login to the Delphix Engine, follow these steps:
- Enter the default Administration User: sysadmin.
Enter the default password: the <Instance ID> for your Delphix Engine.
You can find your <Instance ID> in the Instances section of the AWS EC2 Management Console.
- You will be redirected to enter the following as prompted:
- Email address for the admin account.
- A new password. This password will be used for the Engine Administrator with the username "admin".
Confirm the new password.
From now on, this is the password you will use to login to the Delphix Engine Administrator interface to manage Datasets.
- Click Continue.
Congratulations! You have successfully deployed the Delphix Virtualization Engine in AWS.
Use Delphix documentation to learn how to:
- configure your database source
- configure your target environments
- create virtual databases (VDBs)