Before deploying the Delphix Engine for IBM Cloud:
- You require a license to use Delphix software. If you are a new customer, contact Delphix to get started.
- Review Checklist of Information Required for Installation and Configuration.
- Review IBM’s cloud documentation for IBM Cloud specific information.
Determine which virtual private cloud (VPC) you will use when launching the virtualization instance. To maximize performance, deploy the Delphix Engine instance in the same VPC/subnet in which you will create your virtual databases (VDBs).
Provisioning a VDB requires a compute instance running the same database engine as the source. Please note, however, that the target instance only needs storage to accommodate the OS, database platform binaries, etc., because Delphix delivers all of the data files.
Make sure that the necessary ports are open.
Using the Delphix Engine for IBM Cloud will require connections to source and target database servers. Such connections require various ports to be open, enabling communications. For a detailed list of the network and port requirements, click the link appropriate to your database platform:
- Update Security Group settings to accommodate the necessary connections.
- Select the same Network Security Group that your current (or future) non-production Azure virtual machines utilize.
- You must modify the Network Security Group to allow access to all of the networking ports used by the Delphix Engine and the various source and target engines. See links above for information about specific port configurations.
It is helpful to first create a list of the data sources from which you intend to make dSources. A data source is typically a production database that you link to the Delphix Engine, enabling you to create virtual, full, read-write copies of the source within minutes. The list should include the database's name, platform (for example, Oracle or SQL Server), current size (in GB), the estimated number of virtual copies, and retention period (in days) of snapshots (backup copies).
- All data storage disks must be comprised of Premium Storage devices. Allocate a minimum of three (4) premium storage devices to accommodate storage capacity needs.
- Premium storage devices have differing levels of guaranteed IOPs that vary from 120 IOPs to 7500 IOPs. Please refer to IBM Cloud documentation to ensure that the selected devices will meet the requirements for your deployment.
- Use the guidelines outlined in Procedure for Deploying in IBM Cloud.